Postcards with an inspired sense of history
Venerable Vintage Press features altered images of work originally created by, for the most part, artists working before or around the turn of the century, images now available to us through the public domain.
Please enjoy the images and consider the corresponding postcards. See the shop or choose for yourself.
Venerable Vintage Press postcards start with images either found online or scanned in from personally-owned hard copies.
I've made changes to the downloads/scans to fit my purpose ~ celebrating and sharing images as postcards. I've tried to be true to the spirit of the original, but haven't tried to create an exact replica of the source, and sometimes I get quite far afield.
I chose postcards (vs. greeting card, poster, or text) as a medium because:
- i like the hard-copy approach to correspondence.
- it's a relatively cheap way to share art.
- putting pen to postcard is an easy way to stay in touch.
- the postcard's footprint is small and to the point. Card backs offer just enough space for a short, pithy message. I like that.
- i also like thinking of the many hands that touch the cards on their way through the postal system. From found image to recipient makes for an interesting journey.
Paper & format, returns & exchanges
Venerable Vintage Press cards are commercially printed on sturdy, premium 17 pt sometimes matte and sometimes glossy paper (feel free to ask) and are approximately 4"x6". Each set is well packaged for shipment. Shipping is free at present, for both U.S. and international.
These are bonafide postcards. They're fine traveling through the mail, but four kraft (brown paper) envelopes are included. Fifty cents off if you prefer not to have them.
I'm happy to exchange a card if you'd like to pay for shipping. I don't accept returns unless there is a problem. But if you are a new customer, I can send a free sample so you can look before buying.
Click on any image on the Contents page to get to a gallery. Once there, click the header image to see all images in the gallery.
Drop me a line if you have questions or special orders. ~ Thanks, Pam